Wednesday, November 30, 2016

HYPOCRISY AT ITS FINEST (THE CHURCH AND ITS PRIEST)


HYPOCRISY AT ITS FINEST 

(THE CHURCH AND ITS PRIEST)


Since when did the clergy become activists?

I saw a headline about an archbishop with a name known to many, encouraging "CATHOLICS" to take part in a mass protest against a court decision allowing the burial of a former Philippine President in a Heroes Cemetery.

I can’t really believe the words while I am reading it, I was doubt for a long time now and I think this seals the deal for my “Faith” in “Church” or the lack of it. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am not an Atheist, I believe in a higher form that created all the beautiful things in this world. What I don’t believe is the divinity of the church and the so called religious, for me God is HERE and NOW, Past, Present and Future, and God is Omnipresent and Omnipotent because is in me and with me. 

Meanwhile, the church, its scriptures/dogma, its various institutions and corrupt bureaucracy are all but the creation of man’s imagination. It is never divine and it and they are all still susceptible to mistakes, evil and hypocrisy.

I mean, how a high member of a religious institution in a country boasting to be the one and only Christian country in South East Asia and embracing humility and forgiveness primary doctrines of its faith do such things, say such words and act is such a manner unworthy of Catholic Priest.

He was quoted as saying, “Maraming nawala, namatay, nasugatan at napinsala dahil sa martial law. Ang karangalan ng kanilang pagpapakasakit ay dapat na alalahanin. Kung sa inyong paninindigan, ang makisali sa mga rally ay kinakailangan at sa tingin ninyo ay bahagi ng ating tungkuling Kristiyano, kayo ay malugod kong hinihimok na dumalo dala ang aking basbas.“

Which can be translated into, “Many were lost, died and wounded during Martial Law. We must remember the sacrifices they made. If you think that joining the rally is necessary and believe that it is part of your Christian duties, then I encourage you to join the protests with my blessing.”

Why can he and they as a whole practice what they have been preaching in churches? What they’ve been saying in their long sermons, why can’t they forgive? The man has been dead for a long time now, but he was deprived of the peaceful rest that he somehow deserved. Yes! He can be considered the Hitler of the Philippines, a lot of activists have gone missing during his administration, death toll is at its highest and violation of human rights is rampant. But it’s a very long time now, and it seems we failed because we never moved on, a wound that failed to heal because it was continuously and constantly scratched.

We are investing so much time, money and man power resources to fight a horror of the past while we are being eaten by the worms of our future which only promise a worst future. 

I am not a supporter of Marcos, nor do I intend to make excuses for his and his cronies atrocities during his time in this article, All I want is for our country to finally let go of the pain of past and focus ourselves to the more pressing issues of the present so as to ensure a better and brighter future.
But how can we do this? When the establishment that is expected to be neutral, that is supposed to serve as an arbiter, a balancer is the one who is not just condoning but spearheading the anarchy.

Because of this, all other DOUBLE STANDARDS of the church and its clergy men that I have experienced, saw and heard for my own self comes back to memory.

When I was young, I remembered attending Sunday masses in our parish chapel, the mass is as usually is. The Pastor or what they call Layman is very good; he is welcoming everyone and accommodating all parishioners. But this is only during Sunday, because for the rest of the week you can barely recognized this same Layman for he is always drunk and causing scandal in the middle of the street. And the local folks who just laugh at him, some would argue and other will try to convince him to stop, and he will for the rest of the night but he will come back to this same state early the following morning. I mean so much for being Christian right and surely for being a “religious” practitioner.

Another instance is when I am attending a mass in a church undergoing “renovation”. After the offering in kinds and the usual alms which is kind of ironic since the church is far richer that its devotees can admit to acknowledge. An altar boy would announce in the microphone while religious hymns are being played that they will be passing around the alms baskets one more time, they are asking for the help of its “poor” devotees to help financially in the renovation of their church and turn it into a very big and splendidly decorated basilica, and they are proud of it.

Actually, I can go on forever, and unlike other people who tends to highlight and emphasize the worst of their experiences, for me this are the least of them all. I know of things and experienced them personally and they are far worse compared to what I already narrated above.

But my point here is, the Church and its members shall refrain from stooping further down a very low level, they shall work towards harmony and development of the people instead of initiating activities that will further widen the gap and divide because of their meddling with politics.

And finally, they should really start walking what they are talking.

By writing this, I will be judged, I will be tagged and labeled. I will be looked down but I don't care. I believe in God and this is not how God works, at least not how my God works.

No comments: